Staffordshire University commissioned bitjam to rebuild the Staffs Live platform, with the aim of turning it in to a single news source that covers all six towns of Stoke-on-Trent. The University was using five separate systems, so one of the main challenges faces with this project was consolidating the masses of data from each system in to one cohesive newsroom.
- We developed a bespoke programme, accessible on multiple platforms to enable the data to be merged from previous systems on to a customised CMS platform
- The website was transformed in to an online newsroom as well as establishing an appraisal system to mimic the training and administrative processes with the University
- The site also included a training site to enable safe development before using the ‘live’ site
- The website enables staff to train students in journalism
- The site now attracts around 25k hits per day
- Site traffic has increased by +150%
- Stories are reported faster than other local news outlets because the site is easy to use and accessible to broadcasting and journalism students throughout the University.
Bitjam also manage Staffs Live and the server required to run the platform.